- Clothing: Students tend to dress pretty casually on campus. However, it’s always nice to have a few fancier outfits for interviews, Martel Events, and Rice-wide events. Remember, Houston’s usual weather is hot and humid!
- A set of clothes/shows that you are willing to throw away: This school year, even the first few weeks, has a few events that can get messy, so be sure to bring a set of clothes you wouldn’t miss.
- A computer: Many Rice students take notes on their computers. You can bookmark this book!
- A phone: Make sure to add your suitemates’ numbers so you can coordinate what to bring for your room.
- Copies of important documents (e.g. birth certificate): So your family won’t have to send them later.
- Family pictures/personal trinkets: including pet pictures.
- Face Masks: While we will try to provide as much as we can, it’s always best to have more!
- Cleaning Supplies/Hand Sanitizer: It’s important to stay sanitized!
- Some Money: For emergencies and off campus adventures
- Your OWeek Book: Save it! Its always fun to look back. (It’ll be here on this website too)
- School Supplies: basic school supplies like pencils, pens, notebooks, and more can all be bought at Target down the street from Rice. This will be a good thing to have before O-Week begins.
- Desk Items: An alarm clock, desk lamp, backpack, and extension cord(life saver).
- Bed linens: A pillow, XL twin sheets bedding, and a comforter or blanker.
- Laundry Items: laundry basket or bag, high-efficiency detergent and dryer sheets.
- Toiletries: Stay fresh and clean with some deodorant in the hot, hot Houston.
- Bathroom Items: Uniquely colored towels are helpful when you live with other people.
- Houston Specific Items: rain-boots, umbrella, bug spray. This is not a joke.
- Bicycle: Mobility is key, especially if you’re visiting the stadium or the Shepherd School of Music. Get a sturdy U-Lock to keep your bike safe (and register it with Rice U Police Department)
- Extra Room Furniture: All Martel suites have common rooms, so some furniture will always helps! Coordinate this with your suitemates so you are sure to not double up on things.
- Snacks: For all those late night cravings.
- Washers and Dryer: Free and easy to use; just bring your own high efficiency detergent and dryer sheets!
- Vacuums: One on each floor, meaning they’re available when you need them.
- Trash Cans: One for each suite’s common room and one in each bedroom.
- Refrigerators, ovens, and microwaves: Martel’s kitchens are fully equipped! (Some students also purchase mini fridges for their suite)
- TVs: While some students choose to bring their own, we do have a large TV room, as well as a game room!
- Movies: A rather solid movie collection.
- Cable: There is a cable TV outlet in each room, so you can access TV online through our provider, Philo, as well as HBO GO.
- Desk, Wardrobe, and Dresser: Not only are our rooms huge, but they’re also furnished.
- Piano: Our rotunda features a wonderful grand piano (donated by an alumni) that all students are welcome to play!
- Personal Hand Sanitizer: Personalized with a Martel logo 🙂