Rice University is proud of its culture of care. We take care of our fellow students and promote each other’s wellbeing on a peer-to-peer basis. Rice Health Advisors are a presence of students at each college that specifically work to ensure the culture of care. They act as liaisons between Martel and the Wellness Center, and will listen nonjudgmentally to any issue you wish to share.
Your friendly, neighborhood RHA (Rice Health Advisor) team always there to:
- Answer basic health and wellness-related questions.
- Supply emergency items including condoms, bandages, antibiotics, earplugs, etc. A full list can be found below.
- Put on fun, engaging programs at the college to promote wellness.
- Discuss any personal problem or issue in a confidential setting. We are Mental Health First Aid Certified!
The RHAs for this year are:
WHAT’S IN THE KIT?
Rice Health Advisors have access to a basic first aid supply kit to furnish their peers with the following materials:
- Sterile Gauze Pads
- Cough Drops
- Ace Bandages
- Antibiotic Ointment
- Hydrocortisone Cream
- Antiseptic Wipes
- Feminine Products
- Face Masks
- Cold Compresses
* Please note: Before using any medicine remember to think SAFER: Speak Up, Ask Questions, Find the Facts, Evaluate Your Choices, Read the Label (FDA, 2004). Over the counter pain relievers / fever reducers are safe and effective when used as directed. However, they can cause serious problems when used by people with certain conditions or taking specific medications. They can also cause problems in people who take too much, or use them for a longer period of time than the product’s drug facts label recommends. That is why it is important to follow label directions carefully. If you have any questions, talk to a pharmacist or health care professional. In an event of an emergency, please call Rice Emergency Medical Services at x6000.